When I first earned my license in 2010, I wrote a list of 11 do’s and don’ts that I though would helpful for those following behind me.
ARE Do’s AND Don’ts
As a newly licensed architect, I feel it is only right that I share what I have learned over the 3 years I have been testing. I wrote a short list. Use this as you see fit.
- DO research your state requirements including fees, now and ongoing.
- DO apply for eligibility as soon as you can and start studying.
- DO create a line item in your personal budget for test fees, study materials, state registration fee, NCARB fee…. (If your firm pays, great, but still put something in your savings, just in case. Consider this your prize money at the end of your journey if you don’t need it.)
- DON’T move across the country in the middle of the process. Not only does it interrupt the process, now you have to think about reciprocity or applying in a new state.
- DON’T wait a year between tests. Momentum. Gone.